Sunday, January 6, 2013

Table for One

Back to the grill I went today (well, to the panini press to be exact but grill sounds so much more poetic).

I love to cook, love it.  But I rarely (I would say never but that would be at least a slight exaggeration) cook for myself.  Cooking for one is no fun.  Cooking, no matter how inspired and delicious it is, requires an audience for appreciation.  I can tell myself as many time as I want that the dish I took the time to prepare was yummy but is that enough?  Don't we all seek confirmation and congratulations from others, even if it's for the more mundane things in life... In fact, don't we need it for the mundane things more than anything else?

But today I decided to shift the focus just a bit.  I thought, why put off what is becoming a delicious and joy-filled tradition, just because I am alone?  In fact, maybe I should savour the moment alone so I can appreciate it even more when it is shared.  And on top of all that, I deserve a yummy grilled cheese on a winter's Sunday afternoon.  Absolutely!

So create I did...  Inspiration this week came from my favourite granny smith apples, tart and sweet at the same time.  Coupled with aged cheddar and caramelized onion jam with egg bread as the host of the epicurean party, this was another delightful combination.

I enjoyed every bite at my table for one.  Lucky gal I am.



No comments:

Post a Comment