Sunday, January 27, 2013

Saturday Night. Live.

The greatest time of a night out has to be the moments of anticipation before the festivities actually get under way.  It's when the events of the evening have yet to be revealed, when anything is possible and even the most mundane evening has a world of possibilities.

Last night I was out with friends, new and old.  They had invited me out with the lure of "wanna see a band at a bar?"  That's all I needed.  It was a great opportunity to catch up between sets and enjoy good music over a couple of pints.

It doesn't take much to get me excited these days... My life, as I have mentioned repeatedly, is quite filled with work and work (but that shows very positive signs of easing up lately, ya for that) so a diversion is welcome.  I noticed yesterday as I made my ritualistic Saturday morning coffee and reached into the fridge to the cream, that this was the first time since the last weekend that I had opened my refrigerator.  How can this be possible, you ask?  Simple.  I work and work so when I finish I usually grab a bite of something on the way home.  And I have a bar fridge where I keep beer & wine.  Easy peasy.

So, as mentioned, a diversion is most welcome.  I called a taxi and when I jumped in, the driver had an 80's music station tuned in.  Interesting choice, I thought since my initial assessment would have pegged him more of a Motley Crue or Metallica type of fellow.  Shame on me for judging.  Imagine my surprise when the majority of the ride was spent with me smiling in the back seat as he sang Gowen's Strange Animal.  Word for word.  Start to finish.  Strange animal indeed.

The evening delivered all good things that were hoped for; great conversation, lots of laughs and the bonus of (my most favourite) dancing to some great funk soul tunes.  Who could be happier?  And as I sit here writing this, drinking my ritualistic Sunday morning coffee I make a mental note... Cream is almost gone... I should go shopping this week.

That'll shake things up.

No comments:

Post a Comment