Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Swim that way

We all have books that inspired us growing up... Seminal works that shape who we become, allowing us to recognize within ourselves that which others may see at first glance or may never see at all without well-timed encouragement.

My book was Arty the Smarty (Faith McNutty; Grosset & Dunlap Easy Reader, 1962).  I kid  you not.

It's a gripping tale of a little fish who swam a different way, who refused to follow the crowd (or should I say school?).  I remember laying in my bed at night with my little night light on reading this story over and over. It stuck with me as I grew and I find myself even now searching out a copy of it every time I visit antique shows (I know I could order a copy on-line via kijiji or eBay or any other of the increasing number of "buy it here" websites but that eliminates the thrill of the search and what's the fun in that?)

In my recollection, the script said "when all the little fishies swam this way, Arty swam that way.  And when all the little fishies swam that way, Arty swam this way."  In doing my research I see that this is not exactly as it appeared in the book.  It is a manipulated version tattooed on the memory of a six year old girl which followed her and stood beside her every time she had to muster the gumption or courage or even stupidity to go in the opposite direction of the crowd. 

My most recent Arty the Smarty moment came when I attended my company's annual direction launch. Big business at its glorious, proud, self-congratulating best.  I sat there, anonymous in the sea of black and grey and navy suits, one of the estimated 10% of females present, wearing my orange suit.  One can't always be so blatant as to swim in the opposite direction of the school but being contrary comes in many different forms.

I think Arty would be proud.

No comments:

Post a Comment