Monday, February 25, 2013

The night's best...



There are simple diversions to every day normalcy that make life fun and interesting and notable.  Not that there aren't fun, interesting and notable things that happen in day-do-day life, of course there are.  And most certainly a true gift is noticing those moments when they come and go so quickly.

But today is not about that... It's about the unique stuff... Special, once-in-a-while things that are the pretty pink scarf tied to an already fabulous vintage purse. 

Today is about the Oscars, sort of.  I have, for very many years, hosted an Oscar party for my girlfriends.  I have done it every single year for as long as I can remember, with the notable exception of the year I gave birth to my Middle Son when I watched the Oscars from my hospital bed.  He's 23, almost 24 now so that gives you an idea of the scope of this tradition.  The guests have been transitional but for more than a decade it has been the same steadfast, consistent, solid epic foursome of me and my three girlfriends who now create the four sides of the feminine foundation upon which I build my strength.  So this year was no different.  There were only three of us this year, with girlfriend number four down and out with the flue.  And of course she was missed but we carried on in her absence with true aplomb. 

What made this year extra-special was that the gals were able to stay overnight and we all took today off work. No rush out the door immediately after the Best Picture Award... No worries about how much not to drink.  No easing off on the fun part-way through the night as we each independently start gearing down on a Sunday night in anticipation of the Monday ahead of us. 

And to top the fun off... Grilled Cheese Monday!! Today, we enjoyed a smoked salmon with herbed goat cheese grilled cheese.  It was yummy but we all agreed that it would have benefited from either arugula or apple slices.

If that's the only room for improvement (and it is), than a perfect night it was! 

Oh, and Seth was pretty good too.

No comments:

Post a Comment