Sunday, July 7, 2013

Things left behind

I forget things.  All kinds of things... Keys.  Sunglasses.  Jackets.  Hats.  All kinds of things.

Most people would just write this off as general forgetfulness, even (frighteningly) early-onset Alzheimer's.  But not me... No, not this gal.

I know I'm not the only person who has this forgetful streak.  I know there are others of you out there; I see you when I'm at the grocery store and you are looking for where you put your shopping list.  I see you in restaurants when you are wondering where your glasses are.  I see you in coffee shops when you come back in to grab the umbrella that you left behind.  We Forgetters are everywhere.

My mother used to say to me "You'd forget your head if it wasn't attached."  She attributed my forgetfulness to a constant state of hurriedness to move on to the next thing, see the next person, do the next activity.  I'm not so sure if that's it at all (especially considering this was also the reason she assigned to my generic clutsy nature, constantly tripping, falling or bumping into things... It can't be the reason for everything).

So what do I think is the source of this absent-mindedness?  I've given this a lot of thought...

Bread crumbs. 

I think (and I can only speak for myself here) that I am leaving a trail of immaterial possessions along my travelled path to provide proof of passing through.  To give reminder of a presence hopefully felt and enjoyed.  To set an automated reunion to retrieve the goods left behind.  I'm not so sure leaving things behind is truly accidental. 

I think we all are just looking to leave our imprint, however small, wherever we go.  It's in our nature, the need to be seen, acknowledged and remembered.

And there's nothing wrong with that.  Besides, it sounds better than just "I fogot."

No comments:

Post a Comment