Monday, August 5, 2013

Halfway Checkpoint

So here I sit, mid-way through summer 2013. It is the tail-end of our Civic Long Weekend (for my readers outside of Canada, I have to tell you there are few things we Canadians love more than a long weekend) and I am contemplating what has transpired so far in this fast-moving summer.

I read a study which said essentially that weekends, vacations, summers feel longer if you fill them with new experiences. The study found that the mind needs unique impressions to create a distinct memory so if you go to the same places with the same people you are likely to blend all of those individual memories into one imprint in your recollection. Interesting theory, I thought. And a challenge.

I adore my girlfriends and I love doing the things we have always done together but now I'm thinking what new adventures can we find? It's an easier task with my boys because they are all enjoying new experiences as they continue their own journeys so as I follow along, it's natural to capture new memories with each of them. And of course, as I spend my time alone I am asking myself what can I do that remains undone? Small things, big things. Doesn't really matter.

So far this summer I've picnic-ed at new beaches, walked on new trails, danced in new venues; I've had drinks in a hot tub while rain poured down and rummaged through new antique markets searching for the perfect find. Do I have a companion for the big road trip ahead? Remember? Six months ago I cavalierly announced that finding a "date" for this adventure I was planning would be "no big deal"... Hubris, thy name is Sally... No. No I don't. But that's ok too. I've been on many an adventure solo and there is a special challenge found there. I'm ok with that.

We're half way there... Don't blink; the rest is going to fly by.

No comments:

Post a Comment